1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood in chicken poop this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyhawk124, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ladyhawk124

ladyhawk124 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]

cleaning my poop boards this morning and found this pile with small amount of blood in it. Not sure which hen was roosting there. My hens are 25 weeks old and 5 out of 12 are 2 weeks into egg laying. What could cause this? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I can think of several possibillities but it certainly wuldn't be a complete list. I would look them over well, maybe tonight if they aren't easy to catch, and then just keep an eye on them if you don't find any injuries.

3. ladyhawk124

ladyhawk124 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    Rhode Island
    So did some reading and found pics of what is considered normal poop....my pic seems to match up with shedding intestinal lining and is normal.can anyone confirm i'm correct

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I never see that much "shed intestinal lining" from any my birds. If they were mine I would be worried about worms or coccidiosis. If you see more of it you should probably think about treating with Corid and/or a wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen.

If possible, take a fresh poop sample to a vet and have them check for worm eggs and coccidia.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    For coccidiosis I use the severe outbreak dose of Corid. One can find Corid in the cattle section of tractor supply.
    [​IMG]

One dose of Valbazen, which needs to be repeated in 10 days, will kill most worms, but Safeguard needs to be used 5 days in a row for the same efficacy, so Valbazen is probably the better choice.

• Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound (20mg/kg) once by mouth and repeat in ten days. The average Rhode Island sized hen would get 0.5ml of Valbazen.

• Safeguard dose for the same worm coverage is 0.23ml per pound (50mg/kg) by mouth for 5 consecutive days. The average Rhode Island sized hen would get 1.5ml of Safeguard. Safeguard liquid or paste can be used.

-Kathy

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2 on all of the above advice. In regards to shed intestinal lining... in all the years I've had chickens I can count on one hand the times I've seen what I was 99% sure was shed intestinal lining, and never very much of it nor in multiple poops in one day. If I see anything looking like fresh or recent blood and/or more then just a tiny bit I start looking for other reasons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by