blood in chicken poop! Very worried!

springtime

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I purchased a four month old americana hen last week. I noticed that there was blood in her poop. It is a pinkish poop that is slightly runny. I have a picture of it and will try to post it. I'm very concerned as I'm new to having hens. any information, opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

thank you very much for the link! I did go through it as well as a few other webpages and my only concern would be that my little Americana's poop is not a bright red and doesn't look super bloody. I did forget to mention that some of her poops look competely normal and some look like the picture that I posted. "She does have normal poops as well in between the bloody ones." The lady I got her from did say she was wormed, however you can never trust a stranger :-( I look forward to more responses so I can help my baby get better :)

Last edited:
I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid or Amprol (Amprolium) and worm with Safeguard (fenbendazole) for goats. Ask the person you got her from what she was wormed with and I bet she says Wazine, which only gets roundworms,
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
Any time you even think there is a remote possibility that a bird has a case of coccidiosis remember the little mantra "when in doubt, rule it out". Coccidiosis is a killer and it moves fast. That means "if" that's what this is, you don't have time to wait around looking for worse symptoms to appear, in that case it will likely be too late to save her. It never hurts to treat with a round of Corid but if it is coccidiosis and you don't treat the bird will most likly die.

This may or may not be shed intestinal lining or something else going on but I would certainly start by ruling out coccidiosis, especially since this bird is new to you. And ditto what Casportpony said about worming her.

thank you both for the info! I will head to my local feed store right now :) also, I only have one other hen at the moment. do I treat her too? And how would I go about that? Again ladies, you have saved my chickens! Thank you I love this site :)

Last edited:
thank you both for the info! I will head to my local feed store right now :) also, I only have one other hen at the moment. do I treat her too? And how would I go about that? Again ladies, you have saved my chickens! Thank you I love this site :)

No harm in treating both. You'll find both Corid and Safeguard in the cattle/goat section of Tractor Supply. You could also use Safeguard horse wormer, but it's more expensive per dose.

Corid dose is 1.5 teaspoons 20% powder per gallon for 5-7 days or 2 teaspoons 9.6% liquid per gallon for 5-7 days. I prefer the liquid, but I think Tractor only has the powder.

-Kathy

The most effective wormer dose would be .2ml per 2.2 pounds for 3 days (20mg/kg). Ignore the label on the goat, cattle and horse wormers, they only get 5mg/kg.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom