Blood in coop

Nikm

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2022
So this morning I went to let out the flock. I try to get out early as I had let in a new girl that everyone is kinda weary of. I left a small feeder in the back where she likes to hide out cause sometimes she gets bullied out of eating in the run. I opened the door. Everyone runs out. She’s still in the back where the nesting boxes are. I open the back door and she’s there eating. Next to her, I notice blood!

It looks like a bloody stool at that. Once I saw it I started to look into it. Could it be coccidiosis? Non of my girls are lethargic (even the new girl). Everyone’s eating. My new girl is small for her age, but she’s fairly active, eats a lot, and doesn’t seem fluffed up or hovering.

I’m not sure who or what caused it. I’ve never seen a bloody stool before in the coop. I have about a dozen birds and can’t really pin point who it is. I’ve been going back out to see their behavior and everyone is acting as usual. About 8 of my girls are starting to lay their first egg. Does that have anything to do with it? I’m gonna get some corrid asap, regardless the issue and start them on that. Is it bad to give them that as preventive measure? Just not sure what to do. The blood was DEFINITELY in the stool as there’s a lil poo in it to

Back
Top Bottom