Blood in coop

erindubb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
I went out tonight to tuck the girls in and there are spatters of blood in the shavings and on the wall. Upon closer inspection it looks like one of them has a bloody comb. She is the lowest on the totem pole and I am nervous for her. Are they pecking for the sake of pecking? Or are they making a point or what? Will they just keep at it until she dies? She seems fine (except for the bloody comb) - but what the heck? Should I do something? I only have four chickens. I have been checking combs obsessively because I have one with a touch of frost bite. But, this is not that chicken. None of the other three had frostbite for sure - they all have tiny little walnut combs. (except the barred rock who has the frostbite) So, I know they aren't picking at her comb because she has frostbite. But, whatever the reason - they are drawing blood. What can I do?

They do sometimes cannibalize. Sometimes from bordom or stress. You'll have to keep a close eye on things. Try and fix before the hen gets too traumatized and scared of the rest. Some folks use the blue cote although hard to do on a comb. I used some Rooster Booster stuff for picking. I'd say it helped some (I managed to get some on my clothes). So far, what seems to be working best is just improving their situation with deep bedding, better shelter, got some scratch and dry leaves in their pen so they can 'hunt' for the food. Oh, some say more protein and I think that's helped. A couple times a weeks I crush up hard boiled eggs with shells and dribble on some Poly Vi Sol without the Iron. I make an effort to make sure the picked on chicken gets fed even if I do it by hand. Always make sure she gets some goodies. Do treat her with some topical.

One of my two grown roosters had a bloody comb one evening when I locked them in for the night. He seemed perfectly fine otherwise, I figured he got it caught on something so I was not too worried. The next morning when I went to let them out, he was quivering in the corner of the coop, most of his feathers on his head ripped out, lying flat out and eyes closed looking almost dead. I immediately moved him into a dog kennel into the barn away from the coop sure he was going to die. The next day he was standing and doing much better and after about 5 days, he healed perfectly and re-joined the flock with no problem. If there is any visible blood, in my limited experience, the other chickens will attack and eventually kill. Please, separate her as soon as you can just to be safe, until her comb is healed. I love my chickens but they can be brutal little creatures, they are attracted to blood.

Oh my goodness!!!! That is a cray story. I can't wait for it to be light out now so I can go out and see what is up! I AM SO NERVOUS.

Quote:
Please let us know. I've read many stories on here of their turning a small injury into a major one. Always best to separate one who is bleeding, at least until you can get some BluKote or other means on her, to hide the blood.

You have to isolate the hen with the injury, don't think that the others won't go after it again, they WILL and it may happen when you are not around and it may turn into a disaster very quickly. Chickens will go after blood and they can kill that hen. Put her into a dog crate in the coop, so she can be around the others, but will be safe until her wound is completely healed. Chickens peck at anything different about another chicken

Back
Top Bottom