1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood in egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by butch, Dec 14, 2009.

1. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    What does it mean when there is blood in a egg? How can I prevent this from happing again?

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Doubt you can. I have 24 pullets of 25 weeks age. I had one blood-filled egg out of many dozens. [​IMG] It happens. [​IMG]

3. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    If it's a little spot, it's called a "blood spot" or "meat spot." It's an artifact of the yolk detaching from the ovary follicle a bit soon. The "old wives tale" is that fear causes it, but it's probably caused by the hen jumping around when the yolk is about to detach. I think mine get them from jumping off the high perch in the morning - I get about 1 spotted yolk a week, and not always from the same hen.

Some facts I found on the web about this:
    - Brown eggs are more likely to have blood/meat spots than white eggs.
    - Eggs in stores are carefully candled to get eggs with spots out of the consumer eggs.
    - Hens locked in laying confinement pens are not jumping around, and won't have them detach early.
    - The spots can fade as the egg ages, and grocery store eggs are not as fresh as consumers might think.

This means that you will probably never see a spot on a grocery store white egg. If they bug you, you can pick them out of the egg, or just scramble the egg. It's fine.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [email protected]@2four :

I believe that means it's fertile. Do you have her with a roo?

Just a little FYI. Neither blood spots or meat spots indicate a fertile egg.
    I'm with RocketDad on this one. Spoon them out if they bother you, but I just use the egg as I normally would any other.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Found this in a university study........Pop

Blood spots;

The yolk is formed in the follicular sac by the deposition of continuous layers of yolk material. Ninety-nine percent of the yolk material is formed within the 7-9 days before the laying of the egg. When the yolk matures, the follicular sac ruptures or splits along a line with few, of any, blood vessels. If any blood vessels cross the stigma, a small drop of blood may be deposited on the yolk as it is released from the follicle. This causes most blood spots in eggs. After the yolk is released from the follicle, it is kept intact by the vitelline membrane surrounding it. The release of the yolk from the ovary is called "ovulation."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by