Blood in egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrcush, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mrcush

mrcush Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    My hens just recently finished up a hard molt and a couple of them have just started laying again within the last week. I was making breakfast this morning and cracked an egg that had blood in it. It also had a bad smell to it. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Is this something I should be concerned about? They are all about a year and a half old. and have just recently started acting "normal" again from their molt. Thanks

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Blood spots or meat spots in eggs are pretty common, they are just from a ruptured blood vessel in the ovary or oviduct / or a bit of tissue from the organs, The Poultry Site link below has a list of possible causes. If it is only one egg / one hen doing it I would probably chalk it up to something with the one girl, probably because she is just starting to lay again after a hard molt. The eggs with a big meat spot or blood spot do sometimes seem to smell funny, even if they are fresh.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

3. mrcush

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks!

4. mrcush

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    I read about the light program. I do have artificial light in the morning and evening just so they can see. I wasn't going to use it this winter but I noticed they weren't able to see to get on the roost. Do you use artificial light at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by