Blood in eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by conroy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I am sure I am not posting this in the correct area, so I won't be offended if it's moved. We got our first egg yesterday from one of our Australorps and when I cracked it open there was fair amount of blood in it. I remember a thread about this but I looked for a half an hour and couldn't find it. What is the blood and will all the eggs have blood in them? I know this is a real newbie question but....it's only our first egg. LOL [​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    No all your eggs won't have blood in them.

This happens sometime...if I'm remembering correctly it's caused from a small blood vessel popping as the egg is being formed and the blood gets encased with the egg.

You could even cook it and eat it...it wouldn't hurt you... but most people just throw them away because they are so unappetizing.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have never worried about it. i read before it was nothing to question as a good egg or not. we don't get many with that in it either. but i would never throw them out, it is just a dot of blood that i have seen in any of ours.

4. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Thanks for the reply...yeah it was a bit more than a dot it was like a streak all the way across... I thought maybe cause it was her first egg.. [​IMG]

5. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Quote:YES now I remember that!! I had read a post a while ago and that was the answer...thanks so much. My hubby will be glad to hear it. I wasn't as grossed out as he was.
    Thanks again!!

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Your welcome...as time goes by stuff like that will bother you less and less.

A couple of days ago I was making breakfast and I always break my egg into a separate bowl before I put it in with the other eggs because you never know what you might come across with fresh eggs.

I had an egg that a hen had obviously been sitting on several days and a little embryo had just begun to form...I showed it to my son and asked him if that would bother him...he says no as long as it's not crunchy it's fine. [​IMG]

7. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    OMG that is Hilarious... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by