blood in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gailmaison, Dec 26, 2013.

1. gailmaison

gailmaison Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    I have 6 hens and NO rooster and my eggs are lovely...sometimes just a tiny speck of blood...from straining I think. However, as it is winter and my girls are not laying well, so I sometimes get eggs from a neighbor to sell to my co workers. The neighbor DOES have e rooster. Today for the second time I was told by one of my 'customers' that he cracked an egg and it had too much blood in it for him to eat.... the entire yolk was surrounded by a ring of blood. Last week I was told almost the entire egg was blood filled. What is going on ??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It most likely doesn't have anything to do with the presence of a rooster, unless he is causing an awful lot of stress in the flock. The blood comes from the hen's ovary or oviduct. Hopefully, the heavily bloody one will be a one time thing.

Scroll down towards the bottom, see #1 in yolk problems:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

3. gailmaison

Oct 4, 2013
    Thank you !!! I think I figured it out...my neighbor put a light in his coop and NEVER shuts it off !! I will tell him I will not sell any more of his (hens') eggs, until he puts a timer on that light !!

4. gailmaison

Oct 4, 2013
    there is certainly a ton of great info here !! Thanks !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by