Blood in Embden Goose Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WheeledGoose, Jan 3, 2017.

1. WheeledGoose

WheeledGoose New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Hello, I have three Embden Geese as pets in Northern WI. The goose that has the blood in the stool is a male that is at least 5 years old. I noticed it when I got home today. [​IMG][/IMG] The goose is acting normal, drinking and playing in their water dish as normal, and eating scratch. The other two female geese are completely normal. He still honks when he sees me, and seems normal other than the blood in the stool and the blood in the feathers surrounding the anus/cloaca. I have looked into Cocci, but I am unsure if that is what he has because he is an older goose and because the weather is cold. There was only one feces that looked like the one pictured, so I assume it has just been liquidy and bloody since. Please help.
    Edit:Also wondering if it would be helpful to try antibiotics.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. WheeledGoose

WheeledGoose New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Bump

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you also posted on the goose forum? If possible, I would take a sample of his droppings into your regular vet for a fecal float. Some worms can cause a little blood in the stool, but that could be something worse. Most animals can get different strains of coccidia, capillary worms can cause bleeding, and enteritis is known to as well. But there can be other causes of bleeding.

4. WheeledGoose

WheeledGoose New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    The stool was taken to the vet to be tested. It came back negative for worms and parasites, and they couldn't test for cocci. Maybe a piece of the fence broke off and he ate it,causing some sort of metal poisoning or internal bleeding? Maybe it's a problem with the kidneys?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are good links to read about coccidiosis in geese where they recommend sulfa antibiotics which have to be prescribed by a vet:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/28/coccidiosis-intestinal-of-ducks-and-geese/
    https://en.wikivet.net/Coccidiosis_-_Geese
    Sulmet was the one most feed stores used to carry, but vets can prescribe DiMethox or Albon, and maybe other sulfa drugs. Most chicken people use Corid which is not an antibiotic, and should treat most strains of coccidia. It is available in most feed stores.
    But the worst strains (E. truncata and E. ansera,) that geese get is said to cause a high mortality rate and hemorrhage. After treatment or even if you don't treat, I would give probiotics or plain yogurt with the feed several days a week.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. WheeledGoose

WheeledGoose New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Thank you for the responses. After reading your links I'm not sure if it is cocci anymore. Just got home and spent a little bit of time with him. He isn't pooping blood anymore, his poop is runny, but it returned to a normal greenish color. He is still eating and drinking fine, still honking and moving around just fine too. It might be optimistic of me to think that he is recovering, especially because of cold weather that is coming, but I do.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I certainly hope it was something that had only temporarily affected him. Please update us on his condition in the next days to weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by