blood in eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1hippiechick, Dec 13, 2014.

1. 1hippiechick

1hippiechick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    So literally all day my chicken slept .I have a 7 month Dominique that Will not eat or drink. Just sleeps its eye filled up red with blood and is now closed and now the other one. No signs of any illness no bugs. I have no idea but I'm pretty sure its dying. At first I thought an eye injury but the other is doing it. Could it be something internal? I'm so upset about this. They have all been very healthy and active.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of the eye, and give a little more history? Has the chickens been pecked by the others? Can you stop the blood?

3. 1hippiechick

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Really hard to get a good pic, wont keep eyes opened they aren't blood shot I don't know if its blood but they are solid red. I checked vent AMD it seems to be clear cuz she's not laying yet. She is in a decent space with 5 others her age. Doesn't seem to have been pecked. No sneezing wheezing. Just doesn't move I'm giving water in dropper i Just don't know.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have been stung by something? All I can see in the picture is swelling above and in front of the eye. If she could have been stung, you could always try 1/2 of a 25 mg Benadryl tablet given orally in the back of the throat. Is her comb swollen?

5. 1hippiechick

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    I don't think its swollen its getting pale though

6. 1hippiechick

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    It lost all the color around the eye that might be why it looks that way it is usually really red all around it now its pink

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really wish that I could help you, but not sure how. I can't really see the eyes in your picture. Could the chicken have had an accident and hit it's head? do you think she could have been stung?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by