Blood in feces

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GrantKazSpaz, Aug 18, 2019.

1. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    Hello. Yesterday, when I came to let my chickens out in the morning, I saw blood all over the floor of the coop. It was a lot of blood, like a lot, mixed in with poop. I thought that a chicken might have been killed by an animal or something but they were all alive and acting pretty normal. And then I noticed one of my year and a half old chickens pooping blood. Not a lot this time just a bit mixed in with her poop. I quarantined her immediately and cleaned their feeders and waters well. I kept her alone all day and all night. But this morning I came outside and in my second coop, the one which I had not quarantined, there was blood and poop on the floor again. I had to clean it up as best I could and I found the chicken I thought was responsible and quarantined her with the other. Their poop seems relatively normal now besides a few splotches of blood in them. What is going on with them and what can I do to help? I shoveled all of the bloody poop out so I don’t have any pictures right now but I’ll post some later

2. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    The first thought is coccidiosis. Be sure to keep all feces picked up and the pens clean, and give them a coccidiostat. Corid is available at any farm and feed store.
    2202129.jpeg

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would also treat all of the chickens with the Corid at the same time. The best and maximum dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Sequel and Sue Gremlin like this.
  4. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    Ok I’ll be sure to do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: