Blood in hen's stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by welovechickens, Jan 18, 2010.

1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I found a bloody dropping today as I was scooping my chickens' house. It was mucousy, and had small clumps of blood in it. It was smaller than usual. They are all 10 months old now, and acting totally fine.

Should I worry about this yet, or should I just wait and see if anyone shows other symptoms? I have a picture, if anyone wants to see what it looks like. They always have access to fresh food, water, and a protected outdoor run. My Ameraucana is the only one laying eggs right now, but she hasn't laid yet today. I am suspecting the bloody stool came from my SLW, simply because it was under "her" end of the roost. She produces a tremendous amount of droppings! She acts fine though, greedy as ever for food, and the other stools looked normal.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice. [​IMG]

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Yes post a pic of the stool.
    What you can do for now is put a heavy dose of Apple Cider Viniger in the water.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
  4. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Here's a pic.
    Sorry it's so big!

[​IMG]

I've seen stool with intestinal lining in it, and it was red, but more orange-ish toned. This looks like actual splotches of blood.

5. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    From the looks of the stool, i would not say it is cocci, but to be sure that it is not early stages of it you can treat with corid.
    Or try a hard dose of Apple cider viniger in the water.

6. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The chickens are 10 months old....they've had access to dirt/grass since they were 4 weeks old. Do you think it could be cocci this late in the game? I will try the ACV for sure. [​IMG]

Thanks!

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Cocci can be couse by not just dirt and grass but mold in food, poop in water even pecking at there own poop, moisture in bedding.
    It could be a possiblity, but if it is not acting down or fluffed up then it could be that it ate somethng and has a hard time digesting, like shaveings will do that to chicks.

tyr the ACV, nad if you see it still by the middle of the day tomorow and or worse or others start doing that , then get them on corid.

I am guessing that it may be a normal stool, but keep am eye open , the one bird should only do that once every so many times i have to look that part up, but not constintly.

8. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    They don't have shavings in their house, they have sand inside on the floor, and grass outside. Their food is dry and clean, I clean out their water every day. I haven't noticed them pecking at droppings since they were tiny chicks. Of course there's no telling what on earth they might try eating....LOL....I caught my bantam just yesterday tearing up a paper towel and trying to swallow a big piece. [​IMG] (I chased her down and pulled it out of her mouth, don't worry. [​IMG])

I'll keep an eye out.....I scoop their house at least once a day, sometimes twice, so hopefully I will notice any more problems really quickly.

Thanks!

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I usually go with 2 symptoms before I try to figure out what it is. If it's coccidiosis, she'd have blood in her stool, or not, depending on what kind of cocci. She would also be sick, all fluffed up, not moving around much, not eating.

Cocci is all around, if they get it, could be from anything on the ground. it's a bacteria that chickens are especially susceptable to. Some get vaccinated against it and some are on medicated chick feed for the first 16 weeks to avoid getting it.

If she's eating and greedy, I wouldn't know .

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Elisabeth, you have been doing the best thing you could do-you're paying attention to your chickens. Hope everything is okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by