Blood in meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Blob, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Blob

Blob New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Evergreen
    I killed my first bird for meat today. He did not bleed too well so I guess we did something wrong. Can we still eat the meat? Thanks for your help

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Of course you can. Blood is edible, you can even cook blood and eat it plain. So there is no problem with it still being in some of the veins.

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Sure can, some people even prefer it that way [​IMG]

4. Blob

Blob New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Evergreen
    Thanks so much for that - why do we bleed the chickens if blood is ok to eat?

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd say because of preference. The wife and I don't really care either way but some folks do.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Most folks do kill and hang them for a good bleed out, it does make the meat taste better but that is all a matter of opinion. there is nothing wrong with eating it if it didn't bleed well, heck what do ya think the dear hunters do with 200 lbs of blood fill meat, they devour it. I however do prefer a good bleed as I want to taste the meat without the blood so I can distinguish what my program is doing.

AL

7. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Blood in the meat definitely changes the taste. Try killing one with a blow to the head and let sit for 15-20 minutes vs. bleeding. In game animals it makes a huge taste difference. It’s the amount of iron left in the meat that affects the taste.

2 cents....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  8. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    It depends on your beliefs. For my family and friends, the animals are properly bled. With birds and animals such as goats and rabbits this means cutting the jugulars and letting the heart force the blood out. Goats are usually hung upside down so anything remaining will drain.

Genesis 9: 3 Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for YOU. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to YOU. 4 Only flesh with its soul—its blood—YOU must not eat

Leviticus 17: 13 “‘As for any man of the sons of Israel or some alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst who in hunting catches a wild beast or a fowl that may be eaten, he must in that case pour its blood out and cover it with dust. 14 For the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood by the soul in it. Consequently I said to the sons of Israel: “YOU must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh, because the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.”

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    That is one reason to age in salt water. It draws the blood out.

If you did not age it in salt water and just froze the meat you can still do it. I use about a teaspoon of salt with water to cover. Sometimes when I do a lot of birds they don't get bleed long enough so I age with salt water, especially the older ones.

Just defrost it in salt water for a day or 2 in the refrigerator. Rinse, drain and cook as desired.

10. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Quote:GREAT TIP

[​IMG]

We do the same thing with venison. We use a Tablespoon in 2 cups of water no more than 2-3 hours and rinse rinse rinse in cold water.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by