1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in my baby chicks poop. PLEASE help! I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aqhaktberry3, Jun 15, 2009.

1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I found today what appears to be blood in my baby chickens cage. They are kept inside with a heat lamp. They are in a large plastic storage bin with newpaper and paper towel as bedding. These chicks are young. They are Marrans. I think the blood could possibly be in their poop. What is this? What can I do to help? Thank you ahead of time for all your responces!

2. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    sometimes blood in the stool means cocci
    do you keep the flooring clean and dry
    i use wood shaving or straw for the flooring
    can you take a picture of the poop and post it
    are they acting sick
    and what all did you feed them

3. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Yes their bedding is changed frequently. The chicks arn't acting sick. I feed them nutrina chick starter the medicated kind. I have herd of putting apple cider vinager in their water to treat cocci. Is this a good method? Thanks!

4. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Was this just a speck of blood? multiple poops with blood? have you looked at the poop page to see if what you saw looks normal (you'll see there are a lot of very strange poops!).

Some times there can be an occasional spot of blood in new chicks - stress related, I think - are these very new chicks? how long have you had them?

usually blood from cocci shows up after you see other symptoms first

acv is more of an overall wellness thing - you can do a search on acv and find out lots on this site. Not so much of a treatment for an illness.

5. Americanaluver

Americanaluver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    NH
    Same thing is happening to my Silky chick. [​IMG] She is already molting, so I'm guessing is about 7 months by how she looks, when I got her I forgot to ask the owner how old she is, that's a mistake I hope I wont make again. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by