BLOOD IN MY CHICKS POOP

mrszlopez

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Jackson,NJ
I just noticed blood in my white rock hen's poop. Also, there is a few poop droppings that are very watery & look like mashed up wet chicken feed. I havent had a problem up until now with them. They are about 4-5weeks old. I just started introducing them to some treats (corn on the cob, tomatoes, cooked chicken & cooked eggs) im hoping this is the reason for the bloody/watery poop. Could this be from the treats, or should i be worried ? Please help, im panicking !!!!
hit.gif

ALSO - the poop smells HORRIBLE.

Last edited:
More than likely is it is cocciodosis... get something for it immediatly... Sulmet, Amprolin... It is deadly and unfortunately you will have to keep an eye on the problem until they are 5 months old an retreat any time it shows up....It is present in the soil in some places... there are many kinds but the sulmet should take care of it....I would also ad an antibiotic to the water as well... Take them off any vitamins as it inhibits the amprolin or sulmet from working... Read the direction and do what the bottle tells you and they will be fine... not something to overlook!!!

They are still inside in the brooder & have never been outside just yet. i was going to put them out this week, but i am afraid to now that this is happening. I had a Mereks scare this weekend as well with my cochin, but a vet said it was just a stroke from an inner ear infection? the injured cochin is pooping normally & they were in the same room together. Is there anything i can do for them right now? i dont have yogurt, or any meds until tomorrow.

I'd cut way back on all those treats.

the bloody droppings sounds like cocci.
Corid or Amprol is best and safest..
but liquid Sulmet 12.5% in a pinch.

Last edited:
keep them warm and out of draft or wet.
(cocci makes them cold, and lowers resistance)

remove all kitchen scraps and treats and feed only chicken feed.
see if droppings improve.

if not..and still bloody..treat them for cocci.

how old is she, and the others?

are they acting ill?
(hunched up, depressed looking, change of appetite)

after treatment, give them some plain active culture yogurt.

Last edited:
Are you feeding them medicated chick starter. The medication in it is for cocciodosis. It is really the easiest way to give the medication to them. Keep the brooder as clean as possible, to prevent an accumulation of the cocciodosis.
Keep the bedding dry and if you can, get the whole brooder box into sunlight. The 'guy with the answers' at my farm supply store claims that sunshine kills the little beasties in the soil.
All animals can get this, but it is species specific. It is also quite common.
I wouldn't put the bedding into my garden either, unless I had a very hot compost pile.
Good luck

they are about 6 weeks old. theyre not acting one bit sick. theyre not on medicated chick feed right now but they had been on in for a few weeks. i havent seen any other signs of blood in their poop in the past day or two, so im hoping it was just the treats.

Back
Top Bottom