Blood in new laying silkie

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SShuler13, Jan 22, 2013.

1. SShuler13

SShuler13 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Okay so a few days ago I realized one of my beloved silkies had started laying eggs. When we went to eat it the next morning there was a little blood inside the egg, no big deal right? Okay so I went to collect it today and it has a huge bloody streak across it my RIR was fine when she started laying am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do? HELP!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In eggs produced at home instead of purchased from Piggly Wiggly your going to find a few blood spots from time to time. In a commercial operation every egg is candled to the best of the abilities of both humans and machines, eggs with blood spots inside them are rejected. Therefore you never see a commercial egg with a blood spot because they don't make it to the store. (well almost never) In a commercial operation any blood streaks on the outside of the egg shell is quickly washed away while the shell is being disenfected.

Try this with home grown eggs. Break each egg into its own cup or saucer before individually adding the eggs to the dish your cooking one at a time. Keep a tea spoon handy to dip out any small blood spot. As long as your planning on cooking your cackle berries then there's no problem.

If something is frighting your hen that can sometimes lead to blood spots. There's other causes. It should clear up by its self. You can also beg, borrow, or steal an egg candler and learn how to candle your own eggs. If it does't clear up on its own let us know.

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Your doing fine!!!! Sometimes when young hens, pullets actually, start to lay you see the streaks of blood. It will go away. Blood spots in the egg do happen. There is nothing you can do to prevent it as it happens as the egg is being formed in the hen. A bit of tissue gets into the egg from the inside of the hen during the formation of the egg.

Tammie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by