Blood in nostrils?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kleonaptra, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy gang,

Just noticed one of my big females with blood in her nostrils. Its not bleeding heavily just a little, had to look very hard to confirm it actually was blood. She's a mix breed, part peking, I also have a pekin and mixed breed her age that I got from the same breeder. I also have two Pacific black ducks (like mallards) and 2 chickens, one is very young I only just got it from the markets.

My first thought was the new chicken has given her something, but no one is sick, even the new chicken is very bright and everyone has been running around very lively. She seems to have some bits of straw caught up her nose so hopefully shes just got a blocked nose. Will be keeping a close eye on her, if she needs a vet I dont know if my regular vet would see her (they claim they dont do birds) so it would be tough to find a bird vet before saturday morning.

They get an extensive seed mix and leftover fruit and veggies daily, also water dishes and pond changed daily. They are free range with a shed to go to bed in.

I would appreciate any thoughts, very upsetting to see blood on one of my lovely girls. This is Ephinny, our natural mum who has been the only one to talk to the new chicken.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Worst case it could be an infection, and needs antibiotic. But that would likely be worst case.

On the other hand, infections can get out of hand rapidly, so I would watch carefully.

Some apple cider vinegar in the drinking/head washing water would be something to consider.

Is it possible you could gently open her bill and look inside especially at the top, to see if there are any signs of trouble?

Are here eyes at all puffy, or is there any swelling at the base of the bill?

3. Kleonaptra

Thanks for your reply,

I had a close look yesterday and she had some straw bits around her nose, so maybe she's been digging through the bedding. She looks fine today, no sign of blood and everyones fine...Not happy though, very dry and windy here today! My drake is refusing to get out of bed but he's like that when the weathers too hot.

4. Kleonaptra

No swelling around her bill, her eyes are nice and clear.

Ive heard of apple cider vinegar for horses, for joint pain, I didnt know it was good for ducks too? I can get some tonight

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, I hear it is good for ducks, and I have used it on occasion for the ducks and for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by