Blood in poo.... Other wise fine.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykat2003uk, Oct 7, 2011.

1. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    I went to clean out today just like i do ever Friday. There was blood all the way along under the perches. There are 10 gurls in the pen some are 6 months some are 4 months and some are 3 months. They are all acting normal, it is just this blood i am concerned about. They are all, eating, drinking, following me and jumping up onto the food bin as normal. They were wormed 2ish weeks ago.

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How much blood... can you post a picture of the droppings with blood?

3. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    That was gross [​IMG]

There was a lot of the "lumpy" blood, but there was also some fresh bright red blood.

[​IMG]

4. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    [​IMG] I don't know what it could be..hope they feel better! [​IMG]

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i would check everyone's feet to make sure there are no cuts or scrapes that might be bleeding. If the blood is in the poo, then the most likely culprit is coccidiosis. The two treatments are corid or sulmet. i have read that sulmet is harsher on their systems, so, were it me, i would use the corid.

6. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    i didnt think it was coccidiosis as everything says that when it gets to the stage of blood in poo that the birds would be showing other symptoms but there not... all happy all eating [​IMG]

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Have you been using a medicated chick starter?

8. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Yes

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Can one happen to eat something with red in it? One of mine did that after eating berries, and to top it off, had red berry juice on her face which looked like blood as well. That doesn't look like actual blood.

10. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'm having the same issue. Sometimes there is what looks like clear jelly like stuff too. I took a chicken and poo sample to the vet, who said that it was most likely intestinal lining. Mine have been doing this for nearly two weeks now. I've had them tested for parasites and coccidiosis-- all tests have come back negative. No one seems to know what it may be.

Are your chickens losing weight? Does their breastbone feel like it's sticking out more? Are any of them acting lethargic or are standing around with their tails way down?

I've done some research on this site, and it seems like quite a few people are having the same issue but so far haven't gotten any real answers.

If you do find an answer, I'd really appreciate it if you would PM me. Good luck and hope we get answers soon!

Edited to add: that DOES look like blood to me, doesn't look like anything they ate.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by