Blood in Poo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nuttyredhead, Aug 12, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I got my new chicks saturday. My daughter took one of them (the youngest 4 weeks, Cochin) out of the cage today and it pooped on the porch, bloody mucus like poop (a few times). Is this an indication of worms? Could it be she was squeezed when she was taken out of her cage? I have been checking since then and I haven't seen anything abnormal. She is eating drinking and scratching around like the other 3.

They were treated with Ivermectin when i got them on saturday. Would this treat worms?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT -- I did just read that Ivermecton does treat worms. Do i need to worry since she was already treated? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    This is the response I got when I asked the same question. I don't know about the worms and the other medication you spoke of, but I treated mine with the Corid and have seen no more blood. Hopefully someone with more experience than I can help better.

Quote:

3. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Yes sounds like coccidiosis to me too. Good luck!

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have been watching the chick in question and I haven't seen her poop bloddy again. She pooped while i was watching her tonight, a little watery, but not bloody. Not sure what to do. I dont want to lose all my new girls, will it hurt to treat them if it isnt Cocci?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by