blood in poo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by madabouthens, May 14, 2011.

1. madabouthens

madabouthens Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    i have 8 chicks under a hen altough two or three of them r pooing blood and dont seem to look very well wat is wrong??? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Sounds like cocci - lethargy and bloody poops are signs of it in young chicks. It can kill them if not treated. It's - I believe if I remember correctly- a Protozoa but I'm probably wrong - anyway - the eggs/spores whatever you want to call them are in the dirt and as the hens get older they are not as susceptible to it. I'm on my phone so can't do a search for you - otherwise I would. Google it.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Sounds like cocci for sure. You need to treat it asap because they can die from it very fast!

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
  5. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Do you have corrid (amprolium) at your house? When our chicks got cocci (bloody poo, ruffled feathers, depressed lethargic) we gave them corrid in the drinking water for 5 days and mixed Aureomycin (chlortetracycline type c medicated feed) in with their unmedicated feed for 14 days. They showed lots of improvement within 48 hours but you have to move fast- it can progress rapidly. Good luck! Keep us posted!

6. madabouthens

madabouthens Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    thnx guys but do u's know what causes it and where u get what they need to be treated by andwill it affect the other chicks??? [​IMG]

7. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    most of the time it comes from their poop. if they are overly exposed to their poo they can catch it. it also stays in the soil & living areas that the infected chickens were living. & YES the others will catch it without a doubt & its a fast moving thing and its almost always fatal if not caught and treated right away. try your local feed store for some water antibiotics & feed them plain yogurt. not sure about any other treatments but those two worked for me. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by