Blood in poo....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdgirl408, Dec 28, 2014.

1. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I am a bit of a worry [​IMG] guts since losing two of my chickens (purely down to the person I got them from apparently!!) Anyway, I have two remaining girlies, have had them for approx 7 months, was told they were pullets but I think they were much younger and only one has just started laying. I have noticed, today and yesterday, just a little blood (watery and pink) in the sleeping quarters. I haven't seen anything like it round the garden (they free range), so is this something just to keep an eye on, or is it something serious. I do hope not, as I have really had a run of bad health issues since getting them in the first place. [​IMG] They have put on loads of weight - they were well underweight and under nourished when I got them and the vet said they were really healthy when she saw them last. [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The most common cause of blood in droppings is coccidiosis and if they were my birds I'd treat for it immediately so I could at least rule out that problem. It can overwhelm them and kill them quickly so it's always better to be safe then sorry and just go ahead and run a course of Corid. Sometimes worms can cause some blood in the stool as well.

3. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by