??? Blood in poop, 2 year old hen, mid-winter molt ????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dweder, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I have a 2 year old RIR hen who has decided to go into a full molt, mid-December and I live in Chicago. I immediately took her inside so she didn't freeze to death. She's been alone now for about a week and has started pooping with blood in it.

Are these tied together? What does the blood signify? Cocci?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated...

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It could be cocci. Are any other birds having the same problem?

3. chickie63

chickie63 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    I have expierence in this one . blood in pooh usually means eith cocci or round worms. Neither is really bad unless you let it go too long. There are meds for both . Get them ___meds--into birds asap
    or you will have a decrease in eggs and it will spread and become more serious. Then when all is clearedup- put 1 tbls apple cider vinegar into a gallon of water or a garlic treatment once a month for 3 days as a preventive. REmember to withhold eating eggs or birds until 10-14 days afer treating birds. the garlic or cider vinegar requires no withholdnig eggs or birds.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Cocci or worms are you're top choices. I stool sample taken to the vet would tell you whether it's worms or not. But in all honesty, you're probably looking at Cocci. Start treating for it now, especially if she is lethargic at all, corrid is my preferred drug of choice. I would treat the flock she was with also. Waiting on bloody stools to show can be risky. After your last day of treating them give probiotics or an active culture yogurt to build the good gut bacteria back up.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. dweder

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    To answer the question about the other birds, I would have to say no. I have not seen blood in any of the poop besides hers, but will definately go look through the coop right away.

I've been reading that cocci is very unlikely in mature hens. Your thoughts?

Does the molting mid-winter seem concerning as well?

7. dweder

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    This is to Dawg53!

Thanks for the link. I would have to say good chance that this may be normal!!! Your opinion....

[​IMG]

8. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    I have the same problem.. I treated with wazine and did see a few round worms passed so this week I'll treat with a broad spectrum wormer. My blood in the poop looked more like lining than that of cocci blood. But like you I don't understand the feather loss?? I even dusted for external parasites which I check for routinely and I don't see lice or mites..After worming last Monday with the wazine one of my hens has shown a lack of eating, more water consumption, but does not show lethargicness still forages and extremely loose stool probably a combo of the more water intake and whatever the problem is. I am at a loss with her...

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

That poop is fine.

[​IMG]

A lining poop is pooped almost every 10 poos or so (give or take) - Most people just do not notice them.

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:How old is your girl? Have you seen her molt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by