Blood in poop AND squeaking?! So confused!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2fathens, Jul 9, 2016.

1. 2fathens

2fathens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2015
    So this year I was lazy and got 3-5m old pullets instead of raising from chicks (which I'm regretting) and I'm having some issues.

1. The other night I caught a coon inside my coop but all hens seemed ok and have been acting normal since (24 hours). The morning after though I noticed 2 poops that seemed to have blood inside. I have no idea which darn chicken it came from as since then I haven't been able to see any blood in any poop. Could this just mean maybe one got squeezed by the coon? Or is blood in poop always a sign of a diease?

2. Tonight before bed one of the chickens squeaked 3 times. I've read that this is a sneeze. Does that mean I need to quarantine and medicate her or do chickens actually sneeze like humans randomly?!

3. If these are both diseases what do I buy and what do I do? (Sorry but a vet isn't an option I don't love them that much yet ;) )

I've had chickens for 2 years now and no medical issues so with this new flock I feel like a clueless newbie!!

2. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Well, I'm no expert but hopefully someone who is can pitch in! Have they been wormed, or immunised (that's probably the wrong word) for anything? If not, it could be a disease that there's one for.
    If you find out who the poop came from I'd quarantine her, especially if it is the same hen who was sneezing.
    I hope someone with more expertise can tell you what medication to give!
    For now, keep an eye out and keep us updated. Good luck!

3. 2fathens

Dec 4, 2015
    No I should mention no immunization/de wormer or anything. Came from a flock of about 30 on a relatively clean farm. I did quarantine each one today for 2 hours but none had bloody poop so I still can't find out who it was.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you can get a photo of the poo that may help.

It could be intestinal shedding (poo chart link below).

Keep an eye on the one that you think sneezed. Chicken can sneeze, because they just need to sneeze. Dust,dander, food in the nose,etc.can cause an occasional sneeze. If she continues to sneeze or it becomes more frequent, then you will want to separate her so you can observe her actions. Look for signs of discharge from the nose/eyes, coughing, wheezing, etc.

Have you been able to fix where the Racoon got into the coop?

Poop Chart
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

5. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    I agree entirely with everything Wyrop Coop said. A picture would be helpful, and that poop chart is really a great resource.

6. 2fathens

Dec 4, 2015

Thank you thank you! The poop looked exactly like the last one in "normal" so that makes me feel a lot better. I only knew about the chicken chicks poop list and she didn't have that one on there (that I saw anyway) so definitely bookmarking that! Thanks!
    Today I haven't heard any squeaking yet and she looks healthy so hoping it's a fluke. Will definitely keep a close eye out.

Yes the little brat sneaked in through the eaves of the coop, which an adult raccoon can't fit in but of course this was her baby. I think it was scared and didn't even know what to do. Regardless we have it all covered up now.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by