Blood in poop - bright red.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Isolde, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Isolde

Isolde Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    This is what I found this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 7 chickens 15 weeks old, most of the time they free range. I switched them from Purina starter medicated
    to Nutrena Country Feed[​IMG]a couple of days ago. My chickens are behaving normally they eat and drink and run around.
    Any suggestions.
    Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would start some Corid (amprollium, Ampromed) to treat for coccidosis. That's quite a bit of blood. There can come a period when they may stop eating or drinking with cocci, so I would get the drug today. Look in the cattle meds of your feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then give 3 or more days of vitamins and probiotics. If they are not drinking the medicated water, then it needs to be given fed with a syringe.

3. Isolde

Isolde Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Thank you very much Eggcessive I am following your advice to the letter. I also found out that the poop belongs to my rooster EE. So fare he behaves just normal. I locked all my chickens in the run with the medicated H2O (there is no other source of water) they will stay there for 5-7 days.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by