1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in Poop - Cocci or Intestine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Faraday40, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Found this in the run today. Didn't see any other dropping like it, but I have never seen blood in poop before.
    (I scooped it from the sandy run, so that's where the gritty particles came from. Both pics are the same specimen.)

Does this look like a normal piece of intestine? If so, would probiotics or other type of meds. help?
    Could this be what cocci looks like?
    Could this be from eating a higher protein? (I've been increasing protein due to molting.)

[​IMG]
    a super close up from other side.
    [​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I think it's cocci. It's not normal to see blood in droppings. And it does look like blood to me. You can use Amprol (Corid) in the water, 7 - 10 days, for the whole flock. Available in feed stores.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks like cocci as @chicknmania said.Pooping is the first sign of a disease so its good you found it.

4. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Thanks. I always thought cocci was loose & runny. I think I may have had one batch of chicks with it in the spring. Never saw any blood, but many had runny poops & the chicks looked "off". I used Corid as a precaution & never really saw any symptoms after that.

The pic above came from my coop/run. I've been looking & haven't found any other poops like it. Is it normal for adult hens to get cocci? That's why I was wondering if there was something else that causes blood or tissue to pass. I smooshed the poo with my scooper to get the clot to the top. I'm pretty sure it's blood b/c I haven't fed them anything red.

I also don't know which chicken it came from. Most are 1-3 yr old hens, but I have 2 6 mo old pullets. (Orps that have yet to lay.)

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Idk, I've seen cases of Cocci where there was no blood at all and droppings looked normal. ( but it was diagnosed by a vet in a fecal float). Adult birds can get it, although a lot of times it can be more prevalent in an adult bird whose immune system is compromised for some reason. . Worms can also cause bloody droppings, so, after you're done with the Corid, if I were you I'd wait a few days and then deworm with a broad spectrum dewormer, if you haven't dewormed them recently.. Or at least get a fecal float done by a vet, to see. You can do that right now, anyway, if you have a vet who will do one for you, then you will know for sure if it is cocci, worms, or both, or something else. Ours will do a fecal float for around 15.00. But the droppings have to be fresh; less than 24 hours old; or refrigerated, if they're older. Anyhow, it won't hurt them to deworm or use the cocci without knowing for sure, you don't HAVE to do the fecal float, but it is useful to know for sure, of course.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by