Blood in poop? (Gross picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Realtree4, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Realtree4

Realtree4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio
    This morning I went out and one of my 21 week old Easter Egger was listless and not eating/drinking.....this was the first that I noticed any problem. She was dead about 4 hours later, I tried nutrition-drench.

When I picked her up I noticed that she was very thin!!! Hardly any muscles on leg/thigh and could easily feel breast bones. I feel horrible that I didn't notice this but she was one that wouldn't get within 20 feet of me :( She's always been on the small end and not very active so I wondered if she has always had a problem?

Anyways, now I'm watching my others like a hawk and I noticed my other Easter Egger (same age) sitting (looking ruffled) in the corner of the barn. Which honestly isn't unusual, they all tend to hang out in the barn until evening and then go outside. But I looked under her and saw red in some poop, can't be sure it's from her at there's 28 chickens coming in and out from there.

We don't have any vets anywhere close to here for chickens and so I don't know if I should get corrid or worm them? If so, how?

I'll try adding the picture in the next post.

2. Realtree4

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

Not even sure if it's blood? It was pretty dried out at this point.

3. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas
    If it were me, I'd go ahead and get started with the Corid. I'm currently on day 4 of treating mine and not even sure they ever had it. I had one pullet not come out of the coop and just let herself be carried around. Poops were liquidy. Gave her a straight drop of the Corid liquid right then and mixed up the corid solution. (2 tsp or 9.6ml/gallon) Got her to drink some of it that night. She had improved some the next morning. Kept her inside, poops still liquidy, but she seemed even stronger when I got home from work. Not sure if it was Cocci and the corid was working or if it was just some kind of fluke with her that she got over on her own, but I decided to go ahead and treat the entire flock this week. No one else appears to have gotten sick.

The Corid shouldn't hurt, but if it is cocci, it can kill quickly. I'd start Corid if I could.

4. Realtree4

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio
    Thank you! I went ahead and got the corid and added it to their water this evening. Hopefully all will be well tomorrow! I hate losing any of them especially if I dont know for sure what happened! I guess the next step would be to worm them.....I'm hoping this is a 1 step process ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by