Blood in poop Is this coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oreopiggy14, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Oreopiggy14

Oreopiggy14 In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2017
    Today my 8 month old hen started dropping poop with blood other than that she seems fine is it coccidiosis if so how do I treat it? 20180311_083743.jpg 20180311_075241.jpg 20180311_191449-1.jpg

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Corid from the feed store in the drinking water for everyone, make sure it's their only source. Give the treatment dose not the prevention dose. And don't supplement vitamins during this time since it works by blocking thiamine and starving out the cocci. It isn't an antibiotic type med.

I haven't YET seen blood like that that wasn't cocci. :confused:

Since your girl is still acting normal than you've likely caught it nice and early. :thumbsup

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Pigpie, azygous, KikisGirls and 3 others like this.
  3. Riche Bronson

Riche Bronson Songster

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    I would definitely be concerned that it is. But I don’t think anyone but a vet can say for certain. Bloody droppings can be a symptom of a lot of things/diseases. But here’s an article on coccidiosis, that might help you identify other symptoms and narrow things down to diagnosis it on your own .. but likely a visit to the vet (or at least a stool sample) will be the only way to know for sure. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. Riche Bronson

Riche Bronson Songster

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    Also is she eating medicated chick starter? That’s always a good idea.

Oops- I read 8 weeks and see now that you said 8 months. Wouldn’t want to feed a hen that old medicated chick starter.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. Oreopiggy14

Sep 12, 2017
    Thank you

6. OlePainless

OlePainless In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2018
    Newnan, Ga
    I just went through this and a 5 day treatment of Corid worked. I treated all 60 of my new birds just in case.
    Liquid Corid from tractor supply. I used 2 teaspoons per gal.

Have not seen a bloody stool in over a week once treatment was complete.

Attached Files:

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. Oreopiggy14

Sep 12, 2017
    Is it possible for a single chicken to catch cocci or is it only if you have multiple chickens because she is a single chicken I don't have any other ones the reason I'm asking is because I read that it is usually spread by an infected chicken

8. Oreopiggy14

Sep 12, 2017
    Is it possible for a single chicken to catch cocci or is it only if you have multiple chickens because she is a single chicken I don't have any other ones the reason I'm asking is because I read that it is usually spread by an infected chicken

9. Oreopiggy14

Sep 12, 2017

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Coccidiosis is every where.
    You don't need to have other chickens in order to have it in you yard.

You can even bring it home on your shoes...it's just every where.

Wyorp Rock and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: