Blood in poop Is this coccidiosis?

Oreopiggy14

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
Today my 8 month old hen started dropping poop with blood other than that she seems fine is it coccidiosis if so how do I treat it?
20180311_083743.jpg
20180311_075241.jpg
20180311_191449-1.jpg

Corid from the feed store in the drinking water for everyone, make sure it's their only source. Give the treatment dose not the prevention dose. And don't supplement vitamins during this time since it works by blocking thiamine and starving out the cocci. It isn't an antibiotic type med.

I haven't YET seen blood like that that wasn't cocci. :confused:

Since your girl is still acting normal than you've likely caught it nice and early. :thumbsup

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

I would definitely be concerned that it is. But I don’t think anyone but a vet can say for certain. Bloody droppings can be a symptom of a lot of things/diseases. But here’s an article on coccidiosis, that might help you identify other symptoms and narrow things down to diagnosis it on your own .. but likely a visit to the vet (or at least a stool sample) will be the only way to know for sure. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/

Also is she eating medicated chick starter? That’s always a good idea.

Oops- I read 8 weeks and see now that you said 8 months. Wouldn’t want to feed a hen that old medicated chick starter.

Last edited:
Corid from the feed store in the drinking water for everyone, make sure it's their only source. Give the treatment dose not the prevention dose. And don't supplement vitamins during this time since it works by blocking thiamine and starving out the cocci. It isn't an antibiotic type med.

Since your girl is still acting normal than you've likely caught it nice and early. :thumbsup

Thank you

I just went through this and a 5 day treatment of Corid worked. I treated all 60 of my new birds just in case.
Liquid Corid from tractor supply. I used 2 teaspoons per gal.

Have not seen a bloody stool in over a week once treatment was complete.

Attachments

• 152086672599259137610.jpg
    152086672599259137610.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 2
I just went through this and a 5 day treatment of Corid worked. I treated all 60 of my new birds just in case.
Liquid Corid from tractor supply. I used 2 teaspoons per gal.

Have not seen a bloody stool in over a week once treatment was complete.

Is it possible for a single chicken to catch cocci or is it only if you have multiple chickens because she is a single chicken I don't have any other ones the reason I'm asking is because I read that it is usually spread by an infected chicken

I would definitely be concerned that it is. But I don’t think anyone but a vet can say for certain. Bloody droppings can be a symptom of a lot of things/diseases. But here’s an article on coccidiosis, that might help you identify other symptoms and narrow things down to diagnosis it on your own .. but likely a visit to the vet (or at least a stool sample) will be the only way to know for sure. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/
Is it possible for a single chicken to catch cocci or is it only if you have multiple chickens because she is a single chicken I don't have any other ones the reason I'm asking is because I read that it is usually spread by an infected chicken

Coccidiosis is every where.
You don't need to have other chickens in order to have it in you yard.

You can even bring it home on your shoes...it's just every where.

Back
Top Bottom