blood in poop of a 3 wk old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sabrinah09, Mar 25, 2013.

1. sabrinah09

sabrinah09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    theres a little blood in poop from one of my ss chicks. I dont know which one but Ive got 4. what should I do Im new to the chicken raisin

2. xxxgeorgiexxx

xxxgeorgiexxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Wales
    sounds like it could be coccidiosis you can get medicine to put in their water but i gave mine milk when mine had it a year ago and they got better within a couple of days

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

You can put Corid in their water. 9.6% liquid solution is 1tsp per gallon for 5 days. Powder is 1/2tsp per gallon for 5 days. Clean out the bedding, replace with dry and try to keep it that way. After the Corid treatment (on day 6), give a probiotic (yogurt works) to help their systems.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. sabrinah09

Mar 18, 2013
    they are eating the medicated cick starter

5. my sunwolf

Then do not medicate them. Is it bright red? Is there a lot of it? Is it more of a salmon color, and only pieces in the poo? Sometimes shed intestinal lining can look like blood. Have you fed them berries as treats? Otherwise, I don't know why there would be blood in the poo of chicks eating medicated starter, unless the coccidiosis bacteria are resistant to amprolium (the ingredient in the medicated starter that kills cocci bacteria).

6. sabrinah09

Mar 18, 2013
    Its not all the time. I just seen it this mornin. No they havent had any treats yet.

7. my sunwolf

Blood:
    [​IMG]

Intestinal lining:
    [​IMG]

If it really is blood, I'm not sure what to do, and maybe someone else will comment.

8. LovedMyAlydar

LovedMyAlydar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Kentucky
    I brought home 4 chicks who are about 4 weeks old yesterday at a swap meet/poultry show. One of them has bloody poops but they all look fine and are eating/drinking normally. I noticed this morning there were a few bloody droppings, cleaned their pen, gave them clean food/water. Nothing all day, just normal poop, but then tonight another bloody poop.

So I mixed up the Corid per the directions above for the powder. I will give that for the 5 days. I also purchased something called "Probios"probiotic for poultry to give them on the 6th day. It says on bottle (5g) treats 5,000 birds) Does anybody know a way to use less than the whole bottle? Thanks in advance if anyone can help. It is manufactured by Bomac Vet Plus. I purchased it at TSC along with the Corid. Both were the last of each item. Makes me wonder if there isn't something going around this area of Kentucky since they were pretty wiped out of these items.

I also have 16 other chicks (1.5 weeks old) and 4 ducks(also 1.5 weeks old) in other totes. Will I need to treat them or should they be fine? I guess just keep an eye on them?

Again, thanks for any advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by