Blood in poop!!! Please help me!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leah and peeps, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

Im a first time chicken owner and have a flock of 10, 5 of which are laying. This weekend somthing terrible happened!! There was blood in the poop!! [​IMG] Also it is very watery.. None of the birds are acting sick or unusual... I dont think that there has been more in it since the weekend, but ill have to double check ans hopefully get pics. Could one of my birds have a disease/sickness? Are the still eggs safe to eat Please help me! [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
  3. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    usually cocci, treat for that.

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Yep, could be just about anything. Hens of laying age probably don't have Cocci but you should watch them. If you start to see a lot of what looks like blood in poop and/or they start sitting around with their heads drawn in and feathers ruffled - it could be Cocci.

That said, went outside one day and there were big piles of purple poop everywhere on my front porch. First thought - OMG what sort of disease is this? Went to get a closer look and saw there were little "things" in the poop - still thinking "OMG"....then it hit me BLACKBERRY season. Sure enough my porch chicken, Buffy, was gorging on wild blackberries and pooping big purple piles of poop, full of blackberry seeds all over the porch. Stained it up really nicely too.

5. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    The one watery one was white, like this one in the picture [​IMG] but the ones that had blood look like the linging thing... somtimes they are foamy but not often... and egg production is always 5/5 eggs a day.. maybe it cpuld be one of the younger girls...[​IMG] Are the eggs still safe to eat?
    That chart s great! Thanks!

6. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Could this mean disease? Are the eggs safe to eat? Any response please!? [​IMG]

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:In all likelihood - it's nothing. Their poop varies from day to day and based upon what they eat. Even if they had Cocci, you can still eat the eggs. Cocci is from a protozoa that lives in the soil. It's everywhere. New chicks are prone to it but older birds have usually built up an immunity. Either way, you can treat with Sulmet which is easily obtained at feed stores. BUT....as was posted, no need to treat unless you are seeing lots of bloody poop and/or your birds are acting sick.

8. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thank you soo much! Your awnser is very greatly apperciated! As a first time chicken owner, i get worried pertty easily [​IMG]
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Been there - done that. You're welcome.

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Cocci or worms right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by