Blood in poop/pumpkin seeds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by danamillette, Oct 22, 2008.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I just went home and saw blood in some poop.(just one episode) Only diet change has been some pumkin guts and seeds that I gave them the past few days. Could the seeds perhaps have been too big and caused this?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Have you wormed them before? Pumpkin seeds can act as a natural wormer, and if you haven't before it might be a sign that they need to be.

3. danamillette

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    No, I havent. It was kind of stringy too but not "moving". I will search on worming and get that done! Yik!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How old are they? When you see blood in the poop, actual blood, usually it's cocci or a heavy worm load. I give mine pumpkin seeds all the time with no issues. In fact, they are a natural wormer. I give mine pumpkin seeds and buttermilk as a worm preventative.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. danamillette

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am not positive which one it is, but I think my EE because of where she sleeps. The poop was under where she was sleeping last nite. She is about 1 year and 4 months. I have had them since Sept 11. So, very new to this!!
    [​IMG]

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    can you give them the pumpkin seeds whole?
    I assume the pumpkins guts is ok too then?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, you can give them whole, but they'll go further if they're chopped a bit. Whole pumpkins are great, but mine wont eat them raw. They like cooked squash, though.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I buy them hulled for my 2. They get enough fiber from flaxsd, hempsd, BOSS as it is!!

9. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Mine are crazy for pumpkins, I cut them in half and they pick them completely clean in no time- they eat all the pulp and fight over the seeds [​IMG]

I mentioned worms because I got a batch of 4 from someone earlier in the year and didn't even think about worming them when they first came home [​IMG] (although I did at least keep them in isolation for a few weeks away from the others)- I saw a little squiggly bit of blood in one dropping after I fed them pumpkin (which I'm assuming had flushed worms, which I'm also assuming they picked out of their own droppings GROSS!) My vet said probably a really high parasite load, I wormed all 4 with ivermectin and never saw another bloody dropping

10. danamillette

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    ok. I have been the mad poop detective last nite and this a.m. No more blood. I am going to worm them, just have to figure out where I can buy the stuff. Neither feed store here carries it. I love where I live, but dayuum. I wish that I didnt have to travel 1/2 hr to 2 hrs to buy anything that isnt gas, beef, cheese or booze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by