blood in poop q

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suess hens, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    So, I picked up 3 new chicks about 2.5 hours ago...just found a poo with a tinge of blood to it. It is pinkish to red. I have them on medicated feed and elec and vit water...but unsure about water at feed store.
    What do I do? What do I look for?
    Thanks for anything!

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    try and get some Corid or Amprol (amprollium)

or Sulmet liquid. (widley available at most farm/feed stores)
    these treat coccidiosis.

the medicated feed does help prevent cocci..but not always.
    best to treat asap.

(I like the Corid 20% soluble powder for bovine coccidiosis) if you can find it in livestock section.

3. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    It is now 10:30. I have been watching chicken poo like a hawk. I haven't seen another like it. Still watching! Come morning I will know what I am doing for sure. I am wondering if it is something else since it is only one poop....it is actually in a picture I took...poops in the box they came home in look normal.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they don't act lethargic and you see absolutely no more poop with blood... you might be just fine. Cocci meds are a good standby to have around though just in case. Med feed just helps them build immunity, doesn't immunize them.

5. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    This morning (I put fresh bedding in when I went to bed (Pillow case with shavings inside) there are no bloody poops on bedding. I pulled this out, since they somehow got it into the water??? And put down fresh shavings covered by paper towel. One of them still has some runny looking poop, but it doesn't have blood; the one I saw had blood that was separate from the poop itself.
    All are acting fine. No one seems to not be doing what the rest are. I found them all sleeping in a line this morning, well one head one way, then opposite, then the same. It was quite cute.
    I think I will get the sulmet just to have on hand, and then I have it for any future late night "AHHHHs"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by