Blood in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovedachicks, Jun 13, 2016.

1. lovedachicks

lovedachicks New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    We picked up 8 chicks and 2 peachicks yesterday. We got them home and this morning noticed there is blood in a couple poo piles. Should I go ahead and give corid?
    Also, we have other chickens, these were quarantined upon arrival to the house......do i need to treat the other birds as well? They haven't been near each other but im wondering since family will be workung with both sets of birds.

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Yes, I would treat. I am not familiar with pea fowl, so this info is correct for chickens....
    If the new chicks brought in were already carrying cocci, it could be a different strain than what your other birds are used to.
    I would watch closely for signs of illness for a while.
    For the infected chicks start as soon as possible, it can take them down very quickly. Corid is very safe.

The correct dosing for Corid:
    "The 9.6% Corid liquid dose I use is 10ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

The 20% Corid powder dose I use is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

Medicated water must be their only source of water (no creeks, puddles ponds, etc.)"

You can also make a drench with the corid to give to an individual bird if it's very sick.
    If you have liquid corid, just use a drop or two straight. For the powder you mix 1/2 tsp of powder in 10 ml of water. Dose the bird 0.07 ml of that mixture per 100 grams of weight of the bird, once a day for up to three days. The drench is used in addition to the treatment above, if neccessary.

Follow up treatment with vitamins (make sure it contains B1) and probiotics in the water. No vitamins until treatment is complete.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, the dose using the 9.6% liquid is 0.02 ml per 100 grams (one drop = ~0.02 ml).

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

How old are your peachicks?

-Kathy

5. lovedachicks

lovedachicks New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Thank you! The peachicks are 1/2 weeks old.
    One had veryvery crooked feet, like little fists, he couldn't stand up. I made him little shoes and put them on last night and he is walking and standing now. Yay.

6. lovedachicks

lovedachicks New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    One more question. Only 1 chick has bloody poop, should I separate it from the rest?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm confused, which happens a lot, how many days old are they?

-Kathy

8. lovedachicks

lovedachicks New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    I'm confused too. I asked the person I got them from. He said 1/2 weeks. He said he had a lot hatching and wasn't sure. Sigh.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Are you saying there are one to two weeks old, or 1/2 week old?

-Kathy

10. lovedachicks

lovedachicks New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    He said "they are 1 or 2 weeks old, i had a lot hatching"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by