Blood in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new2chickens307, Jun 14, 2016.

1. new2chickens307

new2chickens307 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    We have had a horrible time with our chickens we lost 8 from the feed store. Not sure what it was, see earlier post. Now we introduced 3from a friend 2 days ago and one of those just started having bloody poop. Ours were treated with Corid before ever being out in the coop any suggestions? Possible worms? Any suggestions for dewormer? Retreat with Corid or is that too much for our chicks who went threw 5 days, 2 weeks off then 3 days? Antibiotics, if so what?

2. new2chickens307

Jun 12, 2016
    Can you hurt chicks by treating repeatedly with Corid? Two had what is considered a full treatment of 5 days of 9.6 ml/gallon and then after 2 weeks 3 more days. Now newly introduced bird has bloody poop. Will I hurt the other two if I start treatment again?

3. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    Corid's active ingredient is amprolium, which is a thiamine inhibitor. Chickens and coccidia both require thiamine to function, but coccidia are affected much more quickly by a thiamine shortage.

It won't hurt the chicks to have one more round of Corid, but do try and address the source of the coccidia overgrowth.

Are the chicks eating a lot but still not gaining any weight? That would point to a worm problem. If you do worm them, use something with fenbendazole or albendazole. The brand you buy will differ depending on your location.

Antibiotics aren't necessary if there are no signs of bacterial infection. What other symptoms do the chicks have?

4. Woobsie

Woobsie Chillin' With My Peeps

You should definitely see an improvement with Corid after 5 days the first time. If they aren't drinking well I suggest the oral drench instead of by drinking water for the last round. The instructions are on the corid package or search on her for corid drench measurements

5. new2chickens307

Jun 12, 2016
    Thank you so mug for responding. Chicks are drinking well and aren't exhibiting any other symptoms except for the one who is having bloody stool. My main concern is for two chicks that had previously been treated with Corid, I don't want to stress their systems to much. We had something horrible come with chicks from feed store, in the end we lost all of them [​IMG] The two that were from a friend made it but had been exposed to a couple of the ones from feed store and they had gone threw Corid treatment. They hadn't spent any time in the coop just brooder until treatment was done. What could be the source of coccidia be in a new coop if the only ones in there had just finished Corid treatment? How fast could a chicken show bloody poop from exposure?...these chicks were added 2 days ago.

6. Woobsie

The coccidia live usually in soil. They are a parasite and survuve even Canadian winters so i wouldn't underestimate their ability to thrive in bedding. Corid really isnt something that is very dangerous to use. If you had them on it for a month atraight thays not good but you have to remember that medicated chick feed which is iven for the fiest 8 weeks is medicated with the same stuff as corid but lower dose. Any birds that go outside will be exposed to cocci but they need to develop a tolerance to it. Usually birss that go from brooder to outside ground while on grower or non medicated food will end up affected if they are still young

7. Woobsie

2 days to develop bloody stool from cocci in a new place is unlikely. They could have had it when you got them and brought it with you to the new bedding possibly but keeping clean bedding would help a lot. Are they warm enough? As a rule day olds should be at 95F the first week working down 5F each week to outdoor ambient temps. Bloody stool could be a sign of chicks that are too chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by