Blood in poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leanne1980, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Leanne1980

Leanne1980 New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    I had two chicks together, 7-8 weeks old and the one must have pecked the other one to death over night. I noticed dark blood in poop of one that's still alive and noticed that as the day went on the poop went back to regular color. Why would this chick kill the other ? Both were perfectly healthy.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    More information is needed. The main reason chicks peck each other to death is too much heat or boredom. After about 2 weeks of age chicks need more room and things to keep them busy. It happens again at about 8 weeks. I move mine outside to the coop by than otherwise pecking can start because at that age they need lots of exercise and things to do.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm...definitely more info needed on the situation of the 2 chicks' housing, feed, heat, etc.

Chickens killing one another is pretty rare.
    Tho they may partake of a protein gorging situation if there's a dead bird available.
    They are scavenging omnivores after all.
    If the remaining bird did eat some of the dead one, it would most likely change the color of it's poops.

Oh and Welcome to BYC @Leanne1980 sorry for you loss,
    hope you stick around to learn lots about chickens.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by