Blood in poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrestedGirl, Apr 18, 2011.

1. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My crevecoeur/ modern game hybrid cockeral had blood in his poop this morning. This is the first time i have noticed it. he doesn`t show any other sighns that he is sick. he is eating and drinking fine. We seperated him from the rest of the flock as soon as we noticed it. Does he have a diease? What could cause this? No other chickens i have have blood in their poop. Please help [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It looks like blood to me [​IMG] Just to make sure, you didn't feed him any beets the day before, did you?

Usually blood in the poo is a sign of coccidiosis (overload of an organism in the chicken). Corid (you can order it at Jefferson Livestock if you can't get it locally) is used to treat it. It's usually seen in younger birds, but it can appear in older birds sometimes.

Does his vent look normal? Could the blood have been from that area? If not, it may well be coccidiosis.

Good luck with him! [​IMG] I'm sure someone else will come along who knows more about this than I do.

3. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you can't find Corid (should have it at your farm store, get the liquid) you can also use Sulmet for this. Try to get it for them ASAP. It can actually kill them, but it is treatable. I would probably treat the flock, but hang on and see what some people with more experience with this one say. It seems I have dealt with most everything else so far. [​IMG] Good luck

4. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    No, we have only given him grower crumbles ( he is 3 months old ) . I will go check his vent right now. He probably has it, i will order some of that Corid. Could you tell some stuff on coccidiosis, i really no nothing. Can it kill a chicken, if it can how long will it take to kill the bird? Can it be cured completely? Can it spread Quickly ? Thank you [​IMG]

5. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have heard of Sulmet, i might just order that. Thanks [​IMG]

6. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Here's a link with some info

Sulmet, however, won't treat all of the different strains of the organism. Still, it is a lot easier to get than Corid.

Keep us posted!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Coccidia are everywhere in the soil. I think there are 9 types. Any bird whose feet touch dirt will have some in the gut. The birds eventually become naturally immune and it causes no harm. Young chicks are at risk because their young intestinal systems have not been exposed and they can get too many coccidia and not be able to handle it. This is why many folks prefer medicated chick starter because the amprolium in the food helps to stop SOME of the coccidia so the young bird doesn;t get overloaded, but still has some so they can build up immunity.

It isn't infectious as in the birds catch it from each other, but it is possible that other birds have it as well from the soil. It can kill a bird, but i don't know how fast. One of the folks on here recommend that you put some powdered milk 50/50 in with his food. It helps coat the intestines and should help. I am not sure if you actually cure the bird of this exactly, since they will probably have a little in their gut, but they can totally get better and they are not a carrier or anything. Good luck [​IMG]

8. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Here is a pic of his vent

[​IMG]

9. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Looks normal and healthy to me. As much as I hate to say it, it does look like coccidiosis if there is no other source of the blood.

It's a good sign that your rooster is still running around and acting normal! You've probably noticed it early enough to treat him effectively.

10. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Thank you Blue_Myst and chickengrl for helping me, I ordered both the Sulmet and Corid. They should arrive later this week. I am going to treat the hole flock for it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by