Blood in poop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by My3littlehens, Mar 10, 2013.

1. My3littlehens

My3littlehens New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a barred rock hen that the past couple days has been acting off. ruffled feathers and just wants to stay in one place and also noticed she has runny poo that had some blood in it yesterday. She was fine last week acting like herself giving me an egg every day and now nothing and acting funny. I brought her inside and gave her a bath and felt for en egg just incase it was egg binding but that's not it. Help please :) Also she is still eating and drinking.

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Your bird may have coccidiosis. Try researching Cocci. I would administer sumlet ASAP! Cocci can kill in very little time and can spread to your other birds quickly.

3. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    And keep her isolated from other birds.

Reddish stuff in the poo can be intestinal shedding (which is normal) but blood in the poo can be a symptom of coccidiosis. The other symptoms you describe sound consistent with coccidiosis as well.

I just treated a rooster for coccidiosis with Amprol. He showed improvement about 18 hours later. I'm going to burn the litter he is on (rather than compost) and will treat the rest of the flock as a precaution.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    Yup - if you're out shopping, Corrid is one brand of liquid Amprolium.

6. My3littlehens

My3littlehens New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Thank you so much everyone went out there and she is looking much much better and her poos are more solid and the right colors. Still a little runny but you can tell its getting solid again. I will still treat her and all my others just to be safe and i have already cleaned the coop and nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by