1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Agilityscots, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    My 3-day old chicks are doing well, except tonight I came home and saw some reddish orange poop in the brooder. I immediately thought it was blood--it doesn't look like the rest of the poop at all, and there was just one abnormal poop. The other poops looked normal. I can see their poops really well since they're on paper towels on top of pine shavings (they were eating the pine shavings and will still go for them along the edges of the paper towels if I'm not careful). Any ideas what this might be and what I'm supposed to do?

2. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I'm no expert, but I am treating my 3 week olds for coccidiosis and that is what it sounds like to me.

Here is some info from thi site http://web.uconn.edu/poultry/poultrypages/diseasefactsheet.html

COCCIDIOSIS - Very common disease.

Pale birds; bloody droppings; ruffled feathers; deaths.
    One celled parasite - coccidia - 9 species.
    Host specific; immunity specific.
    Coccidia - need moisture, O2, and temperature.
    Prevent by keeping birds dry; feed 0.0125% Amprol continuously to 8 weeks of age.
    Amprol @ 1/3 oz. Powder/gallon water 10-14 days for treatment.

Hope this helps...

Chrystal in AZ

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Chrystal,

But wouldn't they all be sick with coccidia? And all having bloody poops? I know from being in dogs that coccidia is highly contagious (which is why my chickies are in the basement and nowhere near my dogs). I just went down and changed their bedding again and all the other poops were clean and normal. ??

4. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Like I said "I'm no expert." When I brought my chicks home was when I noticed that one of them had pink/reddish poop, so I am pretty sure that is what the problem is. Plus, since then they have had their feathers all ruffled and ragged looking. It has been very hot here, so it is hard to tell if they are droopy or just heat exhausted. Also, I've noticed several poops a day that are a light brown/pinkish runny color (sorry for the discriptive words, yuck!!!). So, as a precaution I am treating them all for coccidiosis. I just don't want to wait until I start loosing chicks. Know what I mean!

I hope someone else can post some more information for you so you can get feedback from more than just me. It's always nice to have input from a lot of people.

Good luck!!!

BTW if it is Coccidiosis I found a store online that sells Sulmet for $9.99 + $7.00 flat shipping rate. Let me know if you want the info.

Chrystal

5. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Chrystal,

Well, I haven't seen any more strange poops (although I'm sure that now that I'm saying this, they'll all have it). So I think I'll just watch, and if it appears that more reddish-orange poops start showing up, I'll treat them for coccidia. Thanks so much!!

6. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I hadn't read this thread before, but now that I do ...

Mine (26 chicks almost 3 weeks old) started having orangish poos early on too. And they are stinkier than the other poos, and rather runny.

They also have greenish poos, and blackish ones, which are more well-formed and less stinky (and smaller in volume too).

(Whoever thought we'd be so involved with the details of poo!?!?!?) [​IMG]

My chicks were all vaccinated for cocci, and they all LOOK fine, very alert and don't seem to be ragged (except they do look funny with all those feathers coming in) and running all over the place and many trying to fly. I think everything is normal with regards to growth and behavior. (Except one red sex-link who is still quite small compared to the others ... I think the banties may catch up to her!)

I am not sure. I give grit and feed them various treats (egg yolk, dandelion, strawberry tops, grated carrot, and they have eaten ants and a few have been outside and sampled weeds, grass, and bugs. They were only allowed outside yesterday, and the poos started the first week.

I am CERTAINLY no expert (this is my first batch of chicks) but I wonder if what you are describing might not be normal? I hope that the orange-y poo is normal. In my chicks it is brownish-orangish.

I don't know if someone more knowledgeable will offer information. Maybe the subject line is causing people to think you mean something else? I would like to know myself, but I hope that you and I both have nothing to worry about.

trish

7. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi GoodEgg!

Thanks for the reply; I *still* haven't seen any more weird poops, so hopefully it was an anomaly.

Quick question: when did you start feeding treats? My chicks are only 4 days old but I'm dying to start feeding them the occasional tidbit. I know if I do I have to offer grit, but I didn't want to harm them by feeding tasty treats too soon.

Amy

8. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Well ... again you have to take it for what it's worth (meaning I have no idea what I'm doing here!). I did ask around and some people said they fed egg yolks early on. I had a few that needed a "boost" (the first week I had 7 in and out of the hospital cage for unrelated reasons - I think it was a hard ship) so I started feeding grit on the 3rd day I had them, if I recall correctly, and began with mashed egg yolk the following day.

At first I mixed it with their starter/grower, because they didn't seem too sure about it, but after the first day they would grab it up and run madly with it.

I fed one egg yolk for 26 chicks the first couple of times, but it went too quickly so I started giving 2 at a time. It's been a few days since I gave that, so I will probably need at least 3 now.

I did make sure to chop everything VERY fine (except the dandelions which I offered roots, dirt and all because that's the way I did it with the ducklings).

You want to be prepared for them snatching treats up and running with them and chasing one another. It actually worried me the way the acted, but I was told on here (my post is "treats creating mayhem?") that it is apparently normal behavior, so don't be surprised.

Hope that helps. It is really fun to give them little tidbits. I have tried picking them up and feeding them specially but the funny thing is they are MUCH less interested in eating if they are alone. They like to be petted but will usually ignore the food if there's no one to run from. [​IMG]

trish

9. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Trish,

Thank you! I think I'll try some egg yolk tomorrow and pick up some grit for them; that ought to be a fun adventure! And thanks for the warning about their wild behavior; I had read your "treats and mayhem" post a few days ago, so you already helped prepare me without knowing it. :) I am kind of astonished by their seeming meanness...they just muscle each out of the way, steal stuff from one another, and peck at one another's body parts. One even tried "catching" her own toe, and when she latched on, she fell over. Silly chickie!

I've tried picking them each up and holding/handling them, but a couple are really bratty. They peck and flail and peep at the top of their little chickie lungs. One flung herself out of my hands today and luckily she was only two feet above the brooder; she's my only Gold-laced Wyandotte and she's a horrible little pistol. I was hoping if I tried feeding them treats while they were with me, they'd think I was a nice mom...but apparently, from the sound of your chickie experience, that might not happen! LOL I'll give it a try anyway and hope for the best!

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by