Blood in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krisandken, Jun 5, 2015.

1. krisandken

krisandken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Oregon
    My guess is that this is shed intestinal lining rather than cocci or worms, but your thoughts on this picture are appreciated! This is the second morning in a row I have found blood. Yesterday the blood appeared to have a little bit of hamburger-like consistency. I have a flock of 5 Buff Orpington hens and 1 rooster, and I am not sure which one produced this poop. They are about 3 1/2 months old. Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

At 3 1/2 months old I would run Corid through them if it were me. I am not confident about that being shed intestinal lining at all, especially at that age. I have had to treat for coccidiosis at 3 months of age before. Just my opinion!

1 person likes this.
  3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably just to be safe, I would also treat them. We had to administer Corid to our entire flock once, and it is completely harmless, so your birds' health won't be affected by it. [​IMG]

4. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    I saw the same thing a few days ago and ordered corid online and I am awaiting it's arrival. I hVent seen much more bloody poop but I'm treating just to be on the safe side. I would too if I were you.

5. krisandken

krisandken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Oregon
    Thank you for your responses! I don't have Corid, but I do have Sulmet, so I put some in their water last night and will do so for the next few days. I found the rooster also had bloody poop this morning, so I'm glad I sought out your advice!

6. shannonh

shannonh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2015
    Quinlan
    My baby welsummer has blood in his poop and on his vent he is not that old [​IMG][​IMG]my ?? Is why and is he going to be ok

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Can you get some Corid and treat him for coccidiosis?

-Kathy

8. QuailCreekFarm

QuailCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Gaston, OR
    Do you have Sulmet on hand? If not, you can find it at your local feed store. I keep a variety of medicines on hand so that way when something comes up I can deal with it. Good luck, and I hope your girl gets better!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sulmet could also be used.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  10. shannonh

shannonh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2015
    Quinlan
    I'm sorry i seen it wrong but what is sulmet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by