1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in rabbits urine ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Josh45640, May 2, 2011.

1. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    My wife has a large mix breed rabbit that stays in a pen with a tray on the bottom. I noticed today that it has blood inn the urine. What could cause this? He always has plenty of water and he spends all day in the yard munching on grass nd clover as long as it isn't raining. When it starts to get dark, I put him back and give him some rabbit food and a little bit of Timothy hay. Other than the blood he seems healthy.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Rabbits pee orange and red all the time. Fresh foods can cause it or some rabbits will pee dark just because of some sudden cool weather.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Unless there are other symptoms like straining to pee, lethargy, lack of appetite, etc... there is no reason to be concerned.

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Agreed. It's quite common for rabbits to have orange or red urine.

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Aye, they have high mineral levels in their urine which cause these colors...and can also make it hard to clean their pans. [​IMG] It's why many resort to wire or find they need a good descaler. Red urine is commonly mistaken for blood in rabbits, kind of how porphyrin often scares pet rat owners! So breath easy. Unless your bun is showing signs of pain (is. Rough coat, grinding teeth often, stiffly hunched posture, etc), all is well. [​IMG]

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If he's getting a lot of clover, that would be my guess. Alfalfa can cause their urine to be very red-tinged, and clover is in the same family as alfalfa (both are legumes). Rabbits can get bladder/kidney stones and urinary tract infections, but it is fairly uncommon. If he shows any signs of pain or decreased appetite, then it's time to take him to the vet. But if he's acting normally and seems otherwise healthy it's a pretty safe bet that the color you're seeing is normal and not blood.

6. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Thanks guys. He eats a ton of clover so your responses make complete sense. He dosent act any different than he ever has. I appriciate the help, I was afraid that I was gonna have to eat him....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by