1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in stool/poop picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poppycock1974, Sep 27, 2016.

1. poppycock1974

poppycock1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    About 20 minutes ago I noticed some poop on my patio while the girls were out foraging. The only one with blood in her vent area is the one that just started laying on Friday. Could this be coccidia or maybe due to her being new to laying? Her eggs are more elongated than the others but I don't know if that means anything. I don't see any other symptoms but I know coccidia is quick and can take them overnight. I'm not sure if I should medicate them or not any advice is greatly needed. Pictures will follow, I was having trouble uploading them a few minutes ago

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I would be treating them for cocoocidious .
    Do you have any Corid on hand ?

4. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    I do. I've always been told that medicating them unnecessarily could lead to future problems so that's why I am asking for any advice.

5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Without treatment the bird will die, the protozoan multiply by the thousands within the bowel.
    Amprolium has no withholding period and if administered properly , it will help the bird to build resistance . The cocci are in the soil and thrive in wet conditions .

6. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    I have the dosage chart. The others have normal Poo but I know to treat all- with no other signs should I still treat? She's eating, drinking, bright eyed and bushy tailed. I clean the coop everyday but the run has been damp for about three days due to the rain.

7. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Another question- well the eggs be OK if she does have coccidia or should I throw them out? Or while they are on the medication should I throw the eggs out or keep them?

8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Amprolium has no withholding period in poultry but I like to ditch the eggs for a week. You could separate the bird and treat her only , but chances are others will show symptoms shortly anyway.
    If you haven't already, make sure that the feeders are elavated off the ground and avoid throwing food on the ground.

9. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Thank you! I started their treatment. Their scraps do get thrown on the ground but we'll put them in a dish after I buy one.

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Any old dish will do, even an old cake tin. You can't stop them from scratching around for feed but if you are experiencing a wet period it helps.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by