1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by summerbreeze, May 4, 2017.

1. summerbreeze

summerbreeze New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    I just had a baby chick pass yesterday. I have three now and decided to monitor the rest closely. I found this in their poop today and one of them seems to be acting sluggish and tired just like the other baby chick who died yesterday. I don't want to lose another one. Any advice?

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

Some of that could be intestinal shedding, but since you lost a chick and another one is sluggish/lethargic, then you may want to treat them with Corid for Coccidiosis overload.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Keep us posted.

3. Laya egg

Laya egg Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    I agree with Wyorp, begin treatment immediately. I found powdered Corid at Tractor supply company. You can call your local feed stores and see if they have it in advance.

I feel like the liquid probably ensures they are getting the proper dosage quicker, but the powder mixed with the water should help to ensure you are not aspirating your baby chick. In the end it is your call to do whatever you feel is best.

When I went through this I wanted to know why it was happening to my chicks. Coccidiosis has an incubation period of about 3-5 days (depending on where you get your info lol). This helped reassure me that it was something they came with, not something I did. See the link below for Backyard chicken's article on the subject, if you have not already read it.

One of the best things you can do is to keep the litter clean and dry. That goes for the food as well. Make sure the water is changed regularly. I have found that putting the waterer on a brick helps. I cover the brick with paper toweling and change the toweling at least twice a day.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by