blood in stool

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by N.WChickenGuy, Aug 20, 2011.

1. N.WChickenGuy

N.WChickenGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Washington
    This morning I noticed a bunch of bloody poop under the roost in one of my pens and since i have never seen this in all the time i have been keeping birds im freaking. does anyone know what it could be? [​IMG] please help me save my birds

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

How old are your chickens? One thing it could be is normal shedding of the intestinal lining. Or it could be Coccidiosis which is a common poultry disease. Crowded or unsanitary conditions, wet areas where they drink. Oocycts remain viable in litter for many months. Oocysts are killed by freezing, extreme dryness and high temperatures. Amprolium what is put in chick food or sulmet antibiotics is used to treat the disease depending on the severity of the chicken. I hope they don't have this [​IMG] I'm sure others will have more ideas for your chickens [​IMG]

3. N.WChickenGuy

May 9, 2011
    Washington
    The three seramas in question are between a year and two they are kept in a 2x3 pen and other wise appear healthy

4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
  5. N.WChickenGuy

May 9, 2011
    Washington
    Thank You both for your help i will be picking them up some meds when the store opens in the AM.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by