?Blood in stool

lsg1007

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Missouri
I started my newest chicks on medicated feed for ~1wk, then switched to unmedicated with probiotics. I have 2 sets of chicks (one at 1.5wks and one at 7 wks - the older ones got medicated feed for about 2 wks). As the chicks are inside and their droppings fall down through wire mesh onto a puppy training pad, I am able to see what they look like. ~4 days ago I noticed what looked like a small amount of blood in a young chicks stool and then yesterday, one of my 4 older chicks also had what appears to be blood in her stool (gelatinous pink/red slime). Although they are near each other inside, they are not in the same cage. And the young chicks have never been outside (the older ones have been out ~4 times - I know enough to get bacteria, worms, anything else they eat). Is it possible these 2 episodes mean nothing, or should I start medicating? And if yes to medication, what should I use (antibiotics, dewormer, both, etc)? At this point they all seem to be eating and drinking well, have good energy and seem content, although I know birds like to pretend they are healthy so they do not get picked on. Thanks for any insight.

Usually blood in the stool in young chicks means coccidiosis. I think Corid is what you use to treat it with. Here's a link with an explanation of coccidiosis http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Coccidiosis.
I ask a friend of mine, who is a nurse, to try and help me understand what exactly coccidiosis was and how chickens get it.
My understanding was that the birds could actually be hatched with coccidiosis in their gut already. And that it doesn't have anything to do with how clean you keep their brooder etc. How it spreads is if an unaffected birds eats a infected birds stool.
Medicated feed has Amprolium (? I think. haha) in it. Which helps block the coccidia until the birds immune system builds up enough resistance to it. That is how I understand it anyway.
I would put them back on medicated feed and start them on the Corid right away.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Do I actually need to treat them at this time or would the medicated feed be sufficient. The more realistic goal isn't to rid the bird of coccidia , but to suppress it until their immune system is able to do so. I've only seen 1 bloodied stool from each batch of chicks

Always treat this.. It is highly contagious...

It is also the most common way to lose a chick, or a whole batch of chicks..
Yeah, it's a killer. I would definitely recommend treating as quickly as possible. I think Corid is actually amprolium. Which is what is in the medicated feed. Corid is at a higher concentrate though. There are other things you can use, but I think Corid is the least damaging to their system while it takes care of the coccidia.
Understand that this is what I've gathered from my research. Please, someone with more knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom