Blood in stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egay, Jan 29, 2014.

1. egay

egay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    This is the second time this week I've seen it. Everyone is eating and drinking fine. Energy levels are ok. Should I be concerned?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BuffBuff123

BuffBuff123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    Köln, Germany
    Don't be concerned yet, only if she lacks energy and/or appetite then you should be concerned. Just keep a close eye on her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are chicken's ages? If it were me I would treat for coccidosis with Corid (amprollium) since there is no question that that is blood, not intestinal shed. Dosage is 1.5 tsp powder or 2 tsp of Corid per gallon of water for 5 days--all birds should be treated. After completion, put vitamins and probiots in the water for 1 week. Are you in the US?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 please treat for coccidosis. There is no question that that is blood. You would treat with amprollium. Brand names would be corid or amprol depending on where you live. Follow directions from above post. Please treat soon. I would treat everyone because it can be contagious. The amprollium should take care of the issue. It's known to kill all strains of the Coccidosis. Ask your local feed store for amprollium corid or amprol it's all the exact same medication. Names change depending on your location. Hope this helps. Best wishes

5. BuffBuff123

BuffBuff123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    Köln, Germany
    Hi everyone,

Sorry to interrupt, but how do you get those those titles under your profile name? Like "Platinum Poultry" or "Golden Feathers"?

Thanks,
    BuffBuff123

6. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Treat for worms as well with Safeguard, make sure their vents are ok.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    X3 with the Corid. Better to treat than take a chance

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree with treating for coccidiosis asap. If that is what is going on here then you do not have time on your side to wait around and see how things go. Coccidiosis moves fast and once it reaches a severe state there is a lot of intestinal damage and there is just no saving them. Far better to err on the side of caution and treat asap, the treatment certainly does no harm. If this continues after a 5 to 7 day course of treatment then you can at least rule at that possibility and move on from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by