Blood in the brooder and a dead cockerel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KidsCluck2, Feb 8, 2013.

1. KidsCluck2

KidsCluck2 New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    This afternoon as I was changing out water and feeding my 8wk old chickens (they are in a brooder indoors), I found one of the cockerels dead and blood spots- almost like clumps/clots- through out the brooder. One of the other birds had some blood on it's feathers. the blood seems to be droppings as the dead bird had no injuries and the other birds have no injuries. I just checked on the other birds again and there is fresh blood in the brooder. What is happening!? They do have wood shavings as bedding, but are old enough to not be eating them.

2. KidsCluck2

KidsCluck2 New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    I should add that when I change their food and water, there is always left over food.

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Can you pick the birds up and determine where the blood is coming from, if there are no open wounds then I would think it is either coming from their vent or head.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Could it be bloody droppings? Maybe coccidiosis?

5. KidsCluck2

KidsCluck2 New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    I did check the dead bird and the other birds (3 of the 5 in the brooder are black). The only blood I can find are smear-like on their feathers- no wounds- and the blood in the wood shavings. The other birds seem ok. They are responding appropriately to my presence and handling, but new blood tells me something is wrong.

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    If you can separate them and put them on paper towels, then maybe you can see which one is bleeding.

7. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Do you have them on a medicated feed? If not you may want to get some or treat the water for Cocci. You can search on the forum for cocci treatment.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could possibly be Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.) Blood is expelled/slung from their mouths caused by blood clots in trachea. Here's a link:
    Scoll down to Infectious Laryngotracheitis.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by