1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherFeather, Jan 5, 2010.

1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    I keep finding spattered bits of blood on some of the walls near the roost area in my coop. I also found some on the perches. Not a tonne...but it seems consistent that a few splotches appear every few days or so. All of the chooks look fine....and i regularly examine the only two docile birds as they're the 'low chooks' on the totem pole. the others i can't really examine.

should i be concerned?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Anyone coughing. There are some respiratory diseases that causes their throats to bleed. When they cough and sling their heads it splatters in small amounts.

Check all combs, wattes, and vents for pecking.

Matt

3. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    i had blood on the feeder and found 1 hen that had a bloody comb, but it was not easy to detect on her. so look up close at each bird.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If you have any chickens molting – could also be a blood/pin feather that got bumped/picked/scratched and bled a bit. My white cochin has some blood feathers on her feet right now, last night she stubbed one and it bled a couple drops on the perch.

Also combs and wattles will bleed and be hard to detect.

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Do you have a rooster? If so, look for damage to your hens' combs or back of head. I had that problem early on before they stopped running from him so much.

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Check for a chicken with either a toe nail missing or cut on its foot ....oops also forgot to mention do the examination at night either with a flashlight or head light if your by yourself....good luck ....I tell you this because I have had this problem ...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Not sure where you are from but My problem right now is frozen combs. They will shake their heads splattering the blood. Then it freezes back up. If your hens are dark colored that may be harder to "see" if there is blood on the back of their heads. There is really not much you can do if it turns out to be fighting amongst themselves about who gets to roost where. Elimination if it is real bad. Other than that, mine do squabble and peck till they get settled for the night. Just keep on eye on the situation.

8. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Yes, its cold where we are. I did find some blood on the feeder one day, and also found the chook who must have been eating with a wet comb after taking a drink. I figured if it happened again I'd cover the feeder with duct tape, but I haven't seen any more on the feeder or near it- only near and on the roosts.

i haven't heard anyone coughing, and they definately do spend some time squabbling before they settle, but i've never seen any BAD squabbling, and it doesn't last long.

it does look splashed onto the wall in dots, and in other places, dripped onto the roots.

I'll go out tonight for a bit and sit in the shed with a cup of tea and listen for coughing, observe behaviours and check with a flashlight for toes....

should I be closely looking at the feet, like lifting the birds up?

Could their feet be chapped from walking on snow? I've tried to keep the outdoor run covered whenever it snows, and the ground is covered in straw there...but some snow has come in from time to time.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:yeah, be sure to check the feet. A popped toenail can bleed quite a bit and they keep injuring it over and over again. If you find an injury I would clean the area, cover with an antiseptic oinment, and wrap.

Matt

10. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    wrap??? (jaw dropping) wouldn't she just pick it off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by