blood in the eggs if I don't have a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rrrsmom, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rrrsmom

rrrsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    salt lake city, Ut
    I'm getting eggs with blood in them and I don't have a roo. Any ideas? I need help. [​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My EE gave me 2 eggs last week with blood spots in them. I would like to know whats going on too.

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've read about this and it's not a big deal. It happens during egg formation and should go away [​IMG]

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Small specks of blood are a common occurance. Don't worry to much it usually clears up

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Its normal. Its just a small amount of tissue thats released along with the yolk. Usually it is a lack of Vitamin A. Supplementing your flock with a dose of Vitamin A and the spots shoud disappear. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Blood spots have nothing to do with a roo in your hen house. There are always blood spots in eggs but most are so small you can't see them with the naked eye. Spoon them out. The eggs are still fine to eat. The bloodspot are just part of the biological materials that compose the eggs. You may even find 'meat' spots which is nothing more than a little tissue that sloughed off during the formation of egg. Just spoon it out. If the thought makes you 'ookie' then feed it to your animals. They won't mind. It's all good.

7. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Quote:so do you HAVE to spoon them out or are the ok to eat with them not taken out?

thanks

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are small I don't bother taking them out.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The blood spots are caused by a blood vessel lying across the stigma of the follicle during rupture. This vessel can be minute or large enough to tinge the entire insides of the egg. It's nothing to worry about, but can look disgusting.

(The stigma is the point where the follicle is released from the ovary.)

Meat spots are as MissPrissy described and are easy enough to be rid of...especially before cooking. It WILL be a bit more rubbery in texture as you're chewing...but hey...it tastes like chicken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by