Blood in the henhouse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cposz, Oct 17, 2009.

1. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't think this is an emergency, but I'm baffled.
    When we went to tidy the henhouse before dark (two of our hens don't roost, they just sleep together on a shelf, so we de-poop the shelf before dark so they have a clean place to sleep. Not that it stays that way) we saw blood sort of spattered all over the inside. Our house is quite small, but it was all over the walls and the inside of the door. Not alot of blood, just several spattered areas. No feathers lying about anywhere.

We only have 4 hens and all of them seem happy and bouncy and fit as a fiddle. They all laid today and in every way seem to be their happy selves.

I did a quick inspection of the girls and one of our 1.5 year old sexlink hens seems a bit bare around her vent. No feathers there and no wounds. Everyone else was as fluffy as usual back there. They all get along quite well and we've never had any trouble with picking or anything.

Any ideas? Anything else I should look for?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. nhchick

nhchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    I can't think of anything else except to check each one again tomorrow in the sunlight. Watch for unusual behavior. Good luck.

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    I also had blood spatterd in my coop. I couldnt figure it out so in the am I watched through the window. I finally figured out that the head rooster was picking the comb of my other rooster kinda picking on him. When he shook his head it splatterd it on the wall [​IMG] Check your chickens combs and see if there is dried blood or little scabs. Good luck

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Except for that sort of bare spot on the vent of one of the hens, there doesn't appear to be a scratch on any of them - nothing on the combs, either. They all laid today, too, and seem to be fine. No additional blood today, either - so we wiped the inside of the henhouse down and are hoping for the best.

I'm not sure what that was all about - but glad to note that whatever it was seems to have been nothing too serious (we hope).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by