Blood in the poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyehrhart, Jun 16, 2011.

1. emilyehrhart

emilyehrhart New Egg

May 15, 2011
    My chicks (5 weeks old) have blood in their poop. I'm assuming it's Coccidiosis. I read that adding vinegar to their drinking water can help so I've tried that, but it's been four days since I started the vinnegar treatment and nothing has changed. They're on medicated feed as well. None of them are acting sick whatsoever, but the blood is still there. I'm not sure if I should be worried at this point...is this normal/okay? Does anybody have any suggestions for overcoming the bloody poo?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:If they don't act sick at all, it may be cecal poop, or even something they're eating that makes it look bloody.. Chicks with cocci usually get lethargic, fluff out, and have hamburgery looking poop before it gets bloody. Have you seen the poop chart? (Lots of pics of poop.)

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    If you suspect the chicks have cocci, please treat with Corid or Sulmet asap. Liquid Corid is dosed at 2 tsp. per gallon of water for 5 days & I'd try this first if they are not showing other symptoms. Medicated feed does not prevent them from getting cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by