blood in yolk

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Egg yolks form and mature in the hen's ovary and sometimes when the mature yolk is released it may rupture a small blood vessel, the blood released will end up being encased in the shell, along with the rest of the egg contents. Causes of this can be:

- Incorrect levels of vitamins A and K in the hen's diet;

- Administration of the drug sulphaquinoxaline;

- Large amounts of lucerne meal in the layers' diet;

- Feeding stale, wet or mouldy feed;

- Continuous lighting in the coop;

- Frights, stress and disturbances.

Matieus27

Crowing
Oct 13, 2018
Sallisaw, OK
Egg yolks form and mature in the hen's ovary and sometimes when the mature yolk is released it may rupture a small blood vessel, the blood released will end up being encased in the shell, along with the rest of the egg contents. Causes of this can be:

- Incorrect levels of vitamins A and K in the hen's diet;

- Administration of the drug sulphaquinoxaline;

- Large amounts of lucerne meal in the layers' diet;

- Feeding stale, wet or mouldy feed;

- Continuous lighting in the coop;

- Frights, stress and disturbances.
I had no idea these were causes of it that’s good to know. I always thought it was just something that happened occasionally and there wasn’t any rhyme or reason for it

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I don't have a rooster but I noticed I had blood in the yolk of 1 egg, what maybe the issue?
Has nothing to do with a male being present to fertilize eggs.
How much blood? Can you post a pic?

I always thought it was just something that happened occasionally and there wasn’t any rhyme or reason for it
Mostly that is what it is.....unless it is happening every single egg or copious amounts of blood(but I've had that happen for a few eggs then stop).

Top Bottom